Monday, January 03, 2005

Gigablog!

When I was seven, someone gave me a zoid for christmas. It was some little dinosaur thing; my dad built it for me. Eventually I stepped on it and it died.

****

The nice thing about having a salary is being able to afford all the big toys you ever wanted when you were a kid. And, while I didn't have a special affinity for Zoids when I was younger, I was intrigued by the way they're motorized. So a few monts ago, I decided to get Gojulas Giga, an impressive T-Rex type Zoid.

The Box


Zoids are model kits; some assembly is required. Gojulas Giga comes in 138 parts on 19 sprues (plastic frame/sheets), plus 16 loose parts, plus caps, plus a motor. Gojulas Giga is a new design based on the old Gojulas model, so the degree of complexity is greater than that of older zoids. It took me two weekends to fully assemble Giga, though a lot of that was because I relish cutting and shaving the pieces off the sprues.

Here are the parts, still attached to sprues.


The interesting thing about Giga is that he can shift between two modes. "Attack Mode" is classic Godzilla, harking back to the day when dinosaurs were depicted as slow, lumbering beasts. In this mode, Giga's eyes glow green and he makes a stomping sound as he walks.

Attack Mode


"Pursue Mode" is the post-Jurassic Park dinosaur posture. A horizontal back and straight tail imply faster movement. In this mode, Giga's eyes glow red, and he roars as his jaw opens and closes. I kinda like this mode better.. it's more realistic as a predator than as Godzilla stomping Tokyo.

Pursue Mode


The engineering on this zoid is ingenious. The two-legged walk and arm-waving is all controlled by a single rotating axle. The head/jaw and tail each have a separate movement source though.

A closer look...


I was lucky enough to find CP10 in SM North. These "customize parts" were designed for the original Gojulas, but look just as great on Gojulas Giga. The set comes on two sprues with nine large parts.

CP10: fresh from the pack


With the large cannons attached, Giga looks heavily armed and dangerous. A thoroughly enjoyable model kit to build and display.

Armed and loaded



The Stormcrow

Labels: ,


Comments:
I wasn't really impressed by Zoids, when I was little.. Maybe because everytime I'd see one, it was, well, broken..
 
my only zoid was tiny praying mantis zoid, i liked it but it always lost my teenage mutant ninja turtles (namely donatello and leonardo), hehe

though I was more of a lego kid myself...
 
leks, pareho tayo! lego & tmnt kicks ass!

although i had lots of turtles, kasi mura daw s china eh. i even had the hawaiian ones.

and gijoe too. 3 lang kulang ko sa buong set noon.
 
ROR! zoids roks!Ü ROR!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]