Monday, January 22, 2007

Pre Release

Last Saturday, I went to the Planar Chaos prerelease. It works like this: You get a 75-card Time Spiral starter deck and three 15-card Planar Chaos boosters. You then use these cards to play in a sealed deck tournament where each win gets you yet another Planar Chaos booster.




So anyway, I arrived at Galleria at around 10:15 AM. I got in line for registration at Neutral grounds. Met Jem, who had preregistered. Got in line again, because apparently I was in the wrong line. Finally got to pay my 1k, received a ticket for flight "J", which I was informed would start at 4:30 PM. ... What!?!

I spent the next few hours drifting in and out of the tournament area, killing time by watching other people play. Unexpectedy, I found Ruben in a Starbucks, sketching on his laptop. We watched an episode of Dethklok, an animated band which is reminiscent of Gorillaz. Or perhaps Beavis and Butthead. After a while, Hiyas came and I decided to get back to the tournament area.



Wandering the tournament zone, I also managed to find Manchester Sy, a friend who I haven't seen since high school. I chatted with him a little, found out that he had just returned to the Philippines less than a week ago (apparently for good). I got his number; it's always good to have another friend, particularly one that plays magic.

Eventually, the call for flight J players got sent out. While the organization of the registration was kind of poor, things went smoothly once we actually sat down and got our cards. I was pleasantly surprised that there were enough copies of the special prerelease card to go around.



Looking at my sealed pool, there were a couple of great bomb rares in red and white, but the colors were otherwise shallow. Blue and Black, on the other hand, had a surplus of solid commons. There was also a Red-White-Blue dragon. I could have gone for such a three color build, but I chose to make a rareless Blue-Black deck instead, valuing consistency and removal over splashy bombs.

This isn't a tourney report, so I'll cut to the chase. At around 10:15 PM, it was the middle of the fourth round. My record was two wins and a loss. Right before the deciding game, the janitors start turning off the lights, and my opponent offers to just split the last pack by color instead of playing for it. We agree that I would get Green, Black and Artifact/Land. So we go over to the judges and I claim my two prize packs of Planar Chaos, plus a third one to split. We open it, and my share is... three green commons. What!?!

Jem watches as I open my two remaining packs... to reveal the chase card of the set.




Stormcrow

Labels: , ,


Comments:
and i get first dibs on the damnation!
 
Is it a chase card because of Kev Walker?

Wow. Wrath of God for black is a chase card for a set? O_O Interesting play environment. How much is it valued at?
 
hmmm... a six for six creature with flying. ahhh... pero ang hirap naman atang i-cast nyan! :P

hmmm... who wouldn't want to build a deck based on a black wrath? hmmm... hmmm... me! :P but otherwise its a great card, considering that wrath is no more(?) in type 1 environment.
 
[cel]
so far the street price for a damnation is around 800-1000. foil goes for 2000-2500. nobody's selling at the moment.

[jam]
kaya nga may signets eh. as for type 1 environments, methinks extirpate will break it.


you guys can check out the card list to see how good this set is.

cards of particular note are:
extirpate
boom // bust
akroma, angel of fury
 
Wow, prices like that are why I don't even think about playing competitive constructed anymore.

Wrath of God has been printed in 12 sets, including all the base sets. It's still actually a chase card.

That Damnation must have been lucky. In the week after, I got hired by HP, and got a yaya.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]