Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Slave // Think Twice

So. I'm now a corporate slave. No longer a member of the academic intelligensia, I'm now merely a cog in a multinational machine. Why'd I do it? For the money, OBV. But at the same time, Hewlett-Packard actually seems to be a great place to work. The atmosphere is a lot more relaxed and collegial than what I'd expect from a big corp. No time-in/time-out, and they give you a laptop to boot. Just don't ask me what we do, I can't tell.




The real downside though, is that I'm no longer able to spend a lot of time with Pat and Tesla. It's pretty much an hour in the morning and an hour at night (if I'm lucky). T_T It doesn't help that Pat works at night and I work during day.

***

I spent the weekend watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Let me start off by admitting that the first episode is bad. Incredibly bad. Amazingly bad. Deliberately bad. As bad as a joke that goes on for too long, when it isn't even funny in the first place.

The episodes are presented all out of chronological order too. A little something to keep the viewer off balance, while evoking a sense of medias res. Perhaps this is to obscure the fact that the majority of the episodes are just character building filler.



I actually set this one aside after watching the first two episodes. But you know what? I watched the third episode last saturday... and ended up watching it marathon-style right until the ending. Stayed up four hours past my bedtime too. It hides surprising depths in the shallows... makes you think twice.

Strongly recommended. Watch it in proper show order, with patience and trust.


Stormcrow

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Congrats on getting a job.

Wow, so you finally ran across Haruhi. Its good, but I still can't understand why it topped Japan charts for year(?).

Nice screenshot. You wouldn't guess what the anime wasabout from what you showed. :))
 
The presentation of Haruhi is really brilliant. Which is why I recommend watching it in show order, and why I'd rather not talk about what it's about. ^_^
 
Congrats!
 
I like cogs... they go round and round and round...

Hmm.. the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya eh? In intriguing...

makes me think that maybe detailed descriptions and review isn't the way to go when trying to sell my hobbies and interests to other people.. hehe
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]